John Wyberd is the first owner of the coaching inn built by his family and called The Swan. He was a merchant haberdasher from Essex with business premises in London


John’s son, William Wyberd, Master Haberdasher and judge in The High Court of Justice, inherits The Swan which, on his death in 1665, passes to his son, another John.


The plaque on the front elevation relates to a major re-modelling in locally sourced brick to create the main elevations visible today.


The first of many lady owners and innkeepers, Jane Wyberd, inherits from her father, John, marrying Robert Tomlinson in 1705.


After an earlier purchase from a Robert Smith, local widow and owner, Susanna Read, bequeaths the King’s Head to her kinsman, William North.


The King’s Head Inn, previously called The Swan and still owned by North family members, is leased to John Atkinson.


The inn, recorded as The King’s Head (formerly The Swan) is acquired by Samuel Barnard of Mansion House, Boston for £1,100.


The King’s Head is purchased from Barnards of Boston by the trustees of John Baldock and passes to Elizabeth Baldock, his widow and then to Elizabeth's daughter in 1849.


The inn is bought by John Cade. In June, John Benton, a brewer who lives and works at The King’s Head, is found drowned in a brewing copper on the premises due to temporary insanity.


Annie Smithbone takes over as Innkeeper from her husband Fred who is on active duty throughout the war years and returns to become Innkeeper himself in 1946.


Johnny Cuthbert, originally from Sheffield and an internationally known boxer from 1920 to his retirement in 1934, takes over as tenant and remains at The King’s Head until 1956


Watney Mann Brewery sells The King’s Head to Frederick Peck, ending its use as a coaching inn and public house and turning it into a residential property for the first time in its long history.


The property is bought by Geoffrey and Mary Duff and is then sold to Reuben and Jacqueline Gill in 1987 and then to Robert and Maureen Schofield in 1999, last residents of the former King’s Head.


Heritage Lincolnshire purchases the property and starts a fund-raising campaign to ensure that the building is saved.


Following major restoration and conversion the ‘Old King’s Head’ re-opens as a B&B and café with a meeting room for both local residents and future tourists from the UK and abroad.